Monday, January 21, 2013

Citronille Dorothee

Two dresses which are variations of Citronille 'Dorothee' size 6 months.

The purple one has petal sleeves with piped edges. The sleeves were drafted using Winifred Aldrich's book 'Metric Pattern Cutting for 
Childrenswear and Babywear '. The rest of the dress is unmodified.

The blue dress has a contrast yoke and band at the skirt hem , and is sleeveless and collarless with bias bound armholes and neckline. There is a little double fabric bow as decoration.

Saturday, October 27, 2012


I took the shortall pattern from one step further and modified it extensively , back and front , to make a pair of overalls.  Back details are copied from a readymade denim overall design.

Unfortunately after all that work, it turns out they are too tight in the crotch region so the little fellow cannot wear them. They have been consigned to storage until little sister is old enough for them. Just as well, says big brother, the floral pattern was too sissy for  a boy

Sunday, October 14, 2012

'Capucine' newborn baby top

This top is inspired by the 'Capucine' top from a French pattern company called  Citronille. A very dear friend got me three of their patterns called Rose, Guillemette and 
Dorothee , but they are rather large for my 3.2 kg newborn ( anyway they start at 3mo size!) . 

I liked the look of the Capucine top on their website, so I drafted a pattern based on a simple A-line pattern, newborn size.  I drew up the instructions for future reference.  If anyone would like more details I will try to take pictures when I make this top again.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Mom-made shirts again

More shirts with the Jalie 2111 pattern - they like having matching shirts. I use the 12 year and the 2 year sizes with the shoulders taken in  and sleeves shortened to fit  ( the pattern is rather generous in those areas).

Quilt from recycled fabrics

This is a quilt , baby sized ( 100x80cm) that I made  a few months ago. I am proud to say that it is completely recycled - the only new thing about it is the sewing thread used.  The patchwork is all scraps left over from kurtas made using my favorite fabric, block pinted hand loom cotton. There are also a few plain cottons in there. The yellow solid blocks are an old kurta cut up, and the backing and binding are likewise   fabric pieces left over from dressmaking.
The batting was, believe it or not, a pair of old XXL Hanes fleece jogging pants cut up and stitched together to get a 85x110cm piece of flannel , which was the original inspiration for making this quilt; I had to hide the ugliness of the grey flannel somehow!

I quilted the patchwork squares using a free motion stippled design, my first attempt at this technique, and it turned out pretty good, I think! The pink square was quilted by my 12 year old son, always an extremely interested spectator and contributor of ideas to my sewing projects.

Better pictures of my scrap quilt ( after I decided to stipple quilt the whole thing - I had previously left out the solid yellow squares) . My quilt photography could be improved, I agree. The random diamond embroidery on two of the yellow squares is from the sleeves of my recycled kurta.

Mom-made shirts

We have been wearing a lot of mom-made shirts recently - ever since a kind cousin in Canada bought us a  sewing pattern for men's shirts in 22 sizes ( Jalie 2111) . Here are two of them.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Smocked baby dress

Tried my hand at smocking - this is Simplicity 6767 , one year size. The bodice is shortened to make room for the smocking , and the zip replaced by buttons at the back opening.  Fabric is a checked cotton, the smocking design was inspired by  an excellent tutorial on